Re: [debian-x] 3gl working extremely slow.

* Seth Arnold (sarnold@willamette.edu) wrote:
> * Gordon Heydon <gjheydon@bigfoot.com> [001111 23:06]:
> > I am having some problem getting 3gl to work correctly on my matrox
> > g400. I have installed the mesa drivers that come with the XFree 4.0.1
> > debs, and I have also gotting the libglu from the current unstable
> > version of mesa.
>
> Gordon, getting everything right is damn near impossible. Thank your own
> deity that Branden has done most of the work for us already. :)
> Currently, I don't use libGLU, but copying the one libGLU library out of
> the package is probably sufficient.

>From Reading this list and studding the archives it sujested getting
from another package.

> What I have found about getting my g400Max to do GLX is that it requires
> using XFree86's mga_drv.o driver, loading the agpgart and mga kernel
> modules (I use 2.4.0-test10 with good success, and perhaps
> 2.2.18-presomething would have the same effect, but that may require
> kernel drivers from dri.sourceforge.net) and having the right mix of
> packages installed. I don't think it takes any of the mesa packages.

As I am only using a single head with my dual head card this is what I
am using, I am going to play with dual head sometime when I get a bit of
a chance. I basically have the same setup, 2.4.0-test10, the latest
debs, and the agpgart and the mga modules loaded, but one thing does
puzzle me, it the the mga module is not in use, So I don't think
something is quite right.

> To get the g400Max to do dual-head requires using matrox's mga_drv.o
> file. I'm not sure if agpgart and mga need to be unloaded or not from
> the kernel, but I do, to save memory.
>
> You will also need to tweak your XF86Config-4 file to load the glx, dri,
> GLCore, and dbe modules. (I have two config files, one to describe both
> monitors, one to describe only one monitor, and I switch between the two
> when I want GL to work.)

I have all these modules loaded.

> Yes, it is a bit annoying, but not enough to cause me to learn how to
> program these things for the accelerated OpenGL while running dual-head.

Thanks for the help.

Gordon.