Re: XFree4 Permedia 2 on Alpha

* Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de> [001109 11:52]:
> I've attached the log file.

Nope. :)

> It complains about lots of missing symbols, but perhaps the crash is
> unrelated. Does anybody have an idea?

Yeah, this happened with another fellow a few days ago. Or maybe it was
yesterday. He had a different card, though, so it is understandable that
you missed it in the archives. Take a look at the name of the missing
symbols, and try to figure out which of the following modules you need
to load to make it go: "ddc" "bitmap" "speedo" "vbe" "int10" "GLcore"
"dbe" "dri" "extmod" "glx" "pex5" "record" "xie" "freetype" "type1". (As
I have said before -- this list may not be exhaustive. :)

[Branden -- any chance you get get dexter to place all known modules in
the XF86Config-4 file? Perhaps with glx & dri commented out? This is
quickly becoming a FAQ. :]

> I also noticed dexter needs "dialog", but doesn't depend on it, is
> that on purpose?

I think so:

$ apt-cache show xserver-common | tail -7 | head -4
 The "Dexter" X server configuration file generation tool in this
 package requires the dialog package to work; however, there are
 alternate ways of generating X server configuration files and thus
 dialog is recommended, but not depended upon.

Sadly, apt doesn't do anything useful with the Recommends: line, so many
people may not see the description. (Which also includes useful
information about fonts! :)

HTH

--
``Oh Lord; Ooh you are so big; So absolutely huge; Gosh we're all really
impressed down here, I can tell you.''