problems with XF4

You can probably point out to me some hints or some obvious stuff that
I simply did not think about... any hint would be appreciated.

I have a Celeron-Something here, Intel BX chipset, I tested to run XF4
with both a ATI Rage 3D Pro and a Matrox G100. I have tried to install
the /dev/agppart thing into the kernel (running 2.4.0-test10). Is there
some thing as a "safe kernel" for testing this? Any known issues with the
2.4 test series?

I have a fresh woody system here, just windowmaker installed, I type
startx and after some seconds it freezes, nothing on the screen, no
numlock, hard reset, fsck for half an hour...

With dexter I choose the smallest monitor imaginable or chose 640x480,
which should just work... nothing works...

Any ideas? Any takers?

Thanks in advance,
Alexander

(please Cc any replies to me, too)