Re: Question about FontPath

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 08:56:59AM +0100, Torbjörn Andersson wrote:
> This may be a stupid question, or maybe I just didn't RTFM closely
> enough, but Dexter (at least in phase2v29) puts the following into
> XF86Config-4:
>
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
>
> I thought, based on the the manual page and the output from
> xf86config, that it was supposed to be:
>
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
>
> Did I misunderstand something, or does it make no difference? The
> closest thing to an answer that I could find just said that the
> "attributes are introduced by a ':' character", which I guess could
> mean either way.

This might be a bug in dexter; thanks for pointing this out.  I'll look
into it.

> (By the way, my recent problems with X hanging at startup unless I
> either install xfs or remove "unix/:7100" from the font path seem to
> have gone away now. I don't know how or why. The CHANGELOG mentions a
> recent "infinite loop problem that can show up on server resets" but
> I don't know if that's even remotely related.)

Hrm, as I understand it, if the X server doesn't find a font server there,
it should drop that FPE (font path element) from the list and move on.
Which, anecdotally, is what it seems to do for me.

Can anyone else repro this problem?  Does the X server get hung up if it's
looking for a font server that isn't there?

--
G. Branden Robinson             |      One man's theology is another man's
Debian GNU/Linux                |      belly laugh.