[HOWTO] Downgrade from 4.0.1-0 to 3.3.6

 I tried to get XFree86 4.0.1 working on my laptop, but cannot.  I
 decided to just downgrade for now, so I can use it.  Here's how I did
 it, in case anyone else needs to do the similar.

 dpkg --list | grep '4.0.1-0' | awk '{print $2;}' | xargs --remove --force-depends --auto-deconfigure

 editor /etc/apt/sources.list
  <comment off the lines pointing to the experimental X packages>

 apt-get update

 apt-get -f install

 That's it.  It's still running now, but should be straightforward
 getting it going again, once I figured the other part out.

--
We should not penalize the conscientious to coddle those who run brain-dead software.
I am karlheg, of deB.ORG.  You will be freed.  Resistance is useful.