Re: Voodoo 5 (tdfx) at 24 bpp and dexter

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 04:03:39PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> It does support 24 bit color depth if your resolution is low enough.  This
> appears to be a bug in the tdfx driver.  IIRC I had to get down to 1152x864
> before 24-bit would work on my Voodoo3 3000 PCI.

IIRC, the DRI support only works in 16 bit colour depth on the Voodoo3 -
given that many people are likely to want to use it if they have a tdfx
card, defaulting to 16 may be sensible.

(end of stuff that's directly related to the debs)

> Some combination of high resolution + depth gets things into a confused
> state.  I get a corrupt screen even at 16-bit depth if I push the card up
> to really ridiculous resolutions (1920x1440 or something).  I won't
> speculate on the possible causes of this so as to avoid sounding like a
> complete idiot.

I've had the same problem (which is a pain, because I have a nice shiny
new monitor that's capable of doing that). I haven't had a chance to find
out why, but dropping to 1800x1440ish fixes it. I tried defining my own
modelines, but they get deleted due to "Unknown reason" during X startup.
I'd assumed that this was just me being an idiot in some way, so seeing
someone else with the same problem is reassuring :)

> While I'm pestering Daryll in his inbox, there have been widespread reports
> (which I can personally confirm) of occasional VGA text font corruption
> upon switching away to a console VC from X when using the tdfx driver.
> Pieces of glyphs go missing.  Perhaps something needs to wait longer before
> switching back to text mode?  Note that this doesn't happen every single
> time (or perhaps it is simply hitting unusual characters that don't happen
> to be on the screen), but if you switch back and forth half a dozen times
> with something more than getty on the VC, you should be able to see
> this.

I've noticed this here as well. However, I haven't seen it when using the
server from linux.3dfx.com. Once the process has started (by switching to
a text console from X), certain characters (mostly punctuation) are
damaged and occasional flashing characters appear. Leaving it at the text
console with no input gives more characters appearing over time. I've also
been having problems with DRI and objects being rendered out of order when
rendering to the root window and in some other applications (wine, for
instance), while most windowed stuff works fine. This seems to happen with
both the XFree and 3DFX drivers, so may be something specific to my
setup. I haven't tried the stock XFree tree with this card, so my
experiences are limited to the debs and the 3DFX packages.

> Please let me know what I can do to help test fixes for these problems, I
> have a Voodoo3 3000 PCI here at work and a 2000 PCI at home.

This is with a V3 3000 AGP. I'm also happy to try stuff to fix this - I
upgraded to the Voodoo because my G100 wouldn't go above 1800x1400 at
60Hz, so I'd quite like to have working higher resolutions :)

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@cam.ac.uk