Re: X4, thinkpad 600x and odd font rendering

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 06:33:09PM -0400, Will Lowe wrote:
> I have a thinkpad 600x, I'm running the 4.0 phase2v17 .debs from samosa,
> and I have a wierd font problem:
>
> Fonts are drawn correctly _except_ when they're being edited.  Any line
> that is being edited is almost illegible;  it looks as if parts of the
> letters overlap each other, or mask each other, like somoeone's made a
> collage by cutting out little pieces of paper and pasting them back
> together carelessly.
>
> E.g., in an xterm running bash, the lines above the bottom are fine, but
> editing the bottom line results in a jumbled mess.  Once I hit enter, and
> it scrolls up a line, that line is fine, and the new command line becomes
> a wreck as soon as I start typing.
[snip]

I don't think this has anything to do with your font setup; I think
possibly the glyph-rendering piece of the trident XAA code is busted.

I'll resync with CVS again for v19; I think Alan Hourihane has some more
fixes from the ALS hothouse to commit.  If that still doesn't work, time to
roll up a bug report.

In the meantime, you can try

Option "NoAccel"

in the "Driver" section of your XF86Config-4 to see if that fixes it.  If
so, my theory is correct.  However, depending on what you're doing, this
may make X raster ops uncomfortably slow.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    Suffer before God and ye shall be
Debian GNU/Linux                |    redeemed.  God loves us, so He makes us