Re: libX11 is borked (or is it glibc ?)

Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 01:59:11AM +0200, Johannes Zellner wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I cannot link any more against libX11.so:
> >
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so: undefined reference to `getpwnam_r@@GLIBC_2.0'
> >
> > this shows, even if I link a minimal c program.
> >
> > my versions:
> >     ii  xlib6g      3.3.6-11
> >     ii  libc6       2.1.94-3
> >
> > Any comments ?
>
> To compile against a library built under an old glibc, the library
> needs to be recompiled to the new libc.

 If this is true then there isn't any binary compatibility.
 The whole point of the symbols looking like the above is so that
there can be multiple versions of them. Eg.

% nm -g /usr/lib/debug/libc-2.1.3.so | egrep GLIB | egrep chown
000913c8 T __chown@@GLIBC_2.1
000913c8 T chown@@GLIBC_2.1
00091454 T chown@GLIBC_2.0
% nm -g /usr/lib/debug/libc-2.1.3.so | egrep GLIB | egrep fopen
0004b5c4 T _IO_file_fopen@@GLIBC_2.1
0004da48 T _IO_file_fopen@GLIBC_2.0
000481e0 T _IO_fopen@@GLIBC_2.1
0004a9a0 T _IO_fopen@GLIBC_2.0
000481e0 T fopen@@GLIBC_2.1
0004a9a0 T fopen@GLIBC_2.0

 So either something bad has happened with the glibc versioning
upstream or glibc was built badly.

>                                          I think there's already a
> forthcoming X 3.3.6 upgrade which will be rebuilt against woody glibc -
> right, Branden?

 If it's woody, then it's probably an upstream problem but X 3.3.6
_should not_ be upgraded (well not to fix this anyway, obviously there
may be other reasons to upgrade).

--
James Antill -- james@and.org
"If we can't keep this sort of thing out of the kernel, we might as well