Re: [codedj@echo.ru: X11]

Eugene, if you feel like being extremely brave, you can try the testing
.debs Branden has made available. They seem to work for me, but if you
need something known to be solid, continue using 3.3.x.

Take a look in the debian-x archives for Branden's mini-faq. You will be
sorry if you do not read it first.

If you are still feeling like you want to give it a shot, add this line
to your apt sources.list:
deb http://samosa.debian.org/~branden woody/i386/

As for packages for specific video cards, do not expect those. Most of
why XFree86 wrote version 4.0 is to get rid of video-card specific/OS
specific X servers. Now, there is an X server binary for each OS/cpu,
which loads the modules describing how to drive the video cards. Thus,
the individual drivers are rather small. (vga_drv.o is 14k; the largest
xfree86-supplied driver is 256k. Vendor-supplied ones may be larger, my
Matrox supplied driver is 600k.) All told, they add something like three
megs. The hassle, and duplication of code, means Branden will probably
never supply video-card specific packages.

However, some vendors may (and probably should :) provide .debs that
will install their own drivers. The size of those would be expected to
be under a megabyte or so.

But, of course, I don't speak for Branden. All I know, if I were asked
to do his job, I would never consider video-card specific packages.

* Branden Robinson <branden@deadbeast.net> [001015 19:18]: