Re: Trouble with DRI on G200

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 10:06:48AM -0500, David Engel wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to get DRI working on my Matrox G200 and not having much
> luck.  Most of this is probably due to my ignorance of Linux 3d
> support, but since it involves Debian specific changes to X, I thought
> I'd ask here first.
>
> I first tried using the stock 4.0.1-0phase2v13 X packages with kernel
> 2.2.18pre15 and got the following message from the X server:
>
> (EE) MGA(0): [drm] MGADRIScreenInit failed (DRM version = 1.0.0,
> expected 2.0.x).  Disabling DRI.
>
> It seems the Debian diff for 4.0.1-0phase2v13 has patched the mga_drv
> X module to require a newer version of the mga kernel module, which
> AFAICT, is only available in the 2.4 kernel.  I'd rather not switch to
> the 2.4 kernel yet.  Does anyone know of a newer version of the mga
> kernel module for the 2.2 kernel?

Even if you do get a version match between DRI and DRM, you still won't get
it to work under a 2.2 kernel, because 2.2's memory mapper doesn't support
some of the stuff needed by the DRM (I'm not sure of the details of this,
but this was mentioned on the DRI bugtracker) - so DMA will always fail to
initialize.

Upgrading to 2.4 is really your only choice, sorry.

> However, glxinfo claimed direct rendering was not enabled, and sure
> enough, there was no improvement over software renedering when running
> 3d apps.

Did you later see 'DMA initialization failed?'  That would be the
kernel-specific issue.  Also, make sure you're using the correct libGL.so.
:)

> FYI, another partly related problem I've run into is that the mesag3
> package contains libGL and libGLU but the xlibmesa3 package only
> contains libGL.  What package is supposed to provide libGLU when
> xlibmesa3 is used?

What I do is I use the libGL from xlibmesa3 and the libGLU compiled from
Mesa's sources (which I already have on-hand because of formerly using
Utah-GLX).

--
Joshua Shagam                  /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
joshagam@cs.nmsu.edu           \ / No HTML/RTF in email