Re: Updated Debian XFree86 4.x mini-FAQ and status report

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 05:30:15PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> * The Mesa problem (specifically, the lack of libGLU.so) really has to be
>   sorted out upstream if Debian is going to have a sensible handling of
>   Mesa in our distribution.  Alternatively, I can stop shipping the Mesa
>   stuff altogether in the XFree86 packages until support is ready, but
>   this will pretty much leave DRI out of the picture.  I'd appreciate
>   feedback on doing this.  The XFree86 versions of the Mesa and OSMesa
>   libraries can be added into woody at a later date without causing any
>   real disruption.  I'd appreciate feedback on the possibility of
>   releasing 4.0.1-1 (or 4.0.2-1, or whatever) without the XFree86 version
>   of Mesa.  What little feedback I've had so far indicates that people
>   would rather wait for upstream to resolve this, so that we ship XFree86
>   with its own version of libGLU.

I reiterate my initial feedback.  Please don't disable DRI.  DRI enables
development of serious 3D software.  I am engaged in such development.  It
is much easier for one such as I to work around the little GLU problem than
it is to work around Debian's not having DRI support.

--
Thomas E. Vaughan <thomas.vaughan@nssl.noaa.gov>
CIMMS/NSSL, Norman, OK, USA