Re: G400 DRI?

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 11:33:24AM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> >> Joshua Shagam <joshagam@cs.nmsu.edu> writes:
>
>  > And wouldn't the DRM modules in the kernel source be both
>  > quickly-outdated with respect to the actual drivers?  I tend to
>  > need the bleeding-edge features of the 3D drivers (for me, 'Quake 3
>  > working' isn't good enough).
>
>  Hmm... I know the feeling.
>
>  I think this is what you've got wrong.  The kernel modules do
>  housekeeping work: manage DMA buffers, context switches, states,
>  hardware locking, etc.  As you can imagine, this is all card
>  dependent.  That's the reason why there's a kernel module for each
>  card.
>
>  The DRI modules (those in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri) do the work.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.  I wasn't quite sure what the
relationship between DRI and DRM was.  In that case, I guess bleeding-edge
DRM isn't as necessary. :)

Where is the kernel's CVS repository so I can just grab the DRM out of it?
Not wanting to download entire kernel source to rebuild a kernel for one
feature applies to not wanting to download entire kernel source to grab one
kernel module out of it.  I suppose that at the very worst I could just
download the kernel source at the university and repackage the useful parts
myself, though...

>  > Unfortunately, their whole source distribution seem sincredibly
>  > half-assed.  All they're doing is taking the CVS version of the
>  > XFree driver (including DRM) and adding in their closed-source card
>  > init stuff which adds in DualHead and video out but seems to break
>  > returning into textmode (and I use neither DualHead nor video out).
>
>  For all I know, you'll be happier using the drivers supplied with
>  Branden's packages instead of the Matrox's ones.

Yeah, I've already figured that much out. :)  I was originally hoping that
Matrox's drivers would actually be a proper set of 3D drivers like what
nVidia did, but it looks like they're just doing the cheesy "let's take
advantage of open source and roll in our own proprietary crap and take
credit for all of it!" crap that 3Dfx and Creative Labs are so known for.

--
Joshua Shagam                  /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
joshagam@cs.nmsu.edu           \ / No HTML/RTF in email