Re: G400 DRI?

>> Joshua Shagam <joshagam@cs.nmsu.edu> writes:

 > And wouldn't the DRM modules in the kernel source be both
 > quickly-outdated with respect to the actual drivers?  I tend to
 > need the bleeding-edge features of the 3D drivers (for me, 'Quake 3
 > working' isn't good enough).

 Hmm... I know the feeling.

 I think this is what you've got wrong.  The kernel modules do
 housekeeping work: manage DMA buffers, context switches, states,
 hardware locking, etc.  As you can imagine, this is all card
 dependent.  That's the reason why there's a kernel module for each
 card.

 The DRI modules (those in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri) do the work.

 > Unfortunately, their whole source distribution seem sincredibly
 > half-assed.  All they're doing is taking the CVS version of the
 > XFree driver (including DRM) and adding in their closed-source card
 > init stuff which adds in DualHead and video out but seems to break
 > returning into textmode (and I use neither DualHead nor video out).

 For all I know, you'll be happier using the drivers supplied with
 Branden's packages instead of the Matrox's ones.

                                   Marcelo