Re: X suddenly exits. Segv???

* Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com> [000922 03:12]:
> Package: xserver-xfree86
> Version: 4.0.1-0phase2v7
>
>  Twice I've had X suddenly exit on me.  Both times, iirc, it was when
>  I pushed the "X" button to close a Mozilla frame via the WM.  I don't
>  know if it's a segv or what; it just suddenly snicks out, then `gdm'
>  restarts.  Once it was this version, another time before it was the
>  previous (?) phase 2 binary.

I too have seen this, or something similar.

Running a dual-monitor g400 max with the matrox supplied driver, I have
had my X exit quite quickly and without warning. Once was when mozilla
was open (as well as a gnome terminal or two) and another time seemed to
be very closely tied with mozilla -- it happened when I clicked a link
in mozilla.

I do not run gdm. (And frankly, I confused your reference of gdm with
gdb every time I read your email... :)

I think I have seen it both with phase 1 and phase 2 .debs, but I am not
certain that it did happen with phase 1.

I wish I had had the wisdom to make a copy of the server output at that
point... :)

I do think that one of the xfree86 mailling lists would be the better
forum though; I get the impression debian-x is primarily for feedback
about the X experience specific to debian. (I too am guilty for using it
for other purposes.. :)