Re: XFree86, Mesa, Debian, and libGLU revisited

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 09:54:03AM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> > However, a consensus has formed of late among the XFree86 developers, in
> > conjunction with Brian Paul (the mastermind of the Mesa project), that
> > libGLU should be shipped, built and installed with the rest of Mesa as part
> > of the XFree86 distribution.  I've corresponded with Brian on this point,
> > and he suggests that the 3 libraries, libGL, libGLU, and libOSMesa, be
> > shipped in one package.  I see no compelling reason to do otherwise.
>
> What is Debian's policy regarding OpenGL libraries provided by
> the hardware vendor (NVidia, for example)? Don't we get a
> packaging conflict here?

No.  Debian has a virtual package called "libgl1" which any package
providing a compliant GL library can "Provide" in the package management
sense.

However, I'm concerned that not every one of these implementations that
ships libGL will also ship libGLU and (especially) libOSMesa.  Brian, do
you still think it is a good idea to keep all 3 of these libraries
together?  What set of GL libraries can any reasonable GL implementation be
expected to provide?  Only that and no more needs to be handled with this
mechanism.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    When I die I want to go peacefully in
Debian GNU/Linux               |    my sleep like my ol' Grand Dad...not