[offtopic] G400 RAMDAC speed setting

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 10:58:51AM +0200, Simon Kongshoj wrote:
> I've never tried this myself though -- I have only one monitor hooked to
> my own G400 MAX, and I have been using X 3.3.6 for some time now
[...]
> Speaking of G400 MAX cards -- XF86 (at least in the versions I have tried)
> sets their DAC speeds wrong (at 300 MHz, the correct value for non-MAX
> G400s).

Can that down-clocking hurt the card in any way?

> I recently tried using (in the 'device' section of XF86Config) a
> 'dacspeed 360' line to get the G400MAX's DAC up to its intended value --
> works perfectly. In some versions of X it will probably be 'Option
> "dacspeed" 360'

I tried this on my G400MAX, and indeed this line from xserver output:
(--) SVGA: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 300.000 MHz
changed to:
(--) SVGA: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 360.000 MHz

But I doubt that will accomplish much, since the highest dot-clock value I'm
using in my Modelines is waaaaaay below, at 91.207 :)