Re: xserver-xfree86 should depend on libxaw7

Quoting Seth R Arnold (sarnold@willamette.edu):
> I don't think is should "depend", unless libxaw happens to be used much
> more often than I think it is. If it isn't used much after install, it
> seems silly to require it for install....
>
> Perhaps a "suggest" or a "recommend". But "depend" seems entirely too
> strong to me.

Hmm, I could agree with that. I would prefer Recommend because without
libxaw, xf86cfg is useless. apt-get will use minimal approach in resolving
what packages to get, and dselect will offer to install recommend-ed
packages.

> xf86cfg doesn't seem the best way to configure the X server anyway; it
> didn't have information on my video card, despite my video card being
> supported. (G400 seems like one they would want to advertise support for
> in the nice graphical setup thing, too...)

What else is there?

1. xf86cfg (with XFree86 -configure if initial config file is missing).
2. XF86Setup - not maintained ?
3. xf86config - text based.
4. manual editing

I personally favor 4, but most people will ask for a graphical configuration
utility.

--
Kresimir Kukulj                  madmax@fly.srk.fer.hr
"Vee haf vay of making you use Vindows!" - Adolf Gates