Re: [timshel@pobox.com: X4 phase 2 packages issue ...]

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 02:11:19PM +1100, Timshel Knoll wrote:
> But surely having xlibs Provide: xpm4g (at least for a while, until all
> dependancies on xpm4g have been fixed to libxpm4) will make the upgrade
> path that much easier ... at the moment a number of packages still depend
> on xpm4g so removing it will force all these packages to be removed by apt.

Let this serve as a wake-up call to recalcitrant package maintainers.  I
NMU'ed 4 packages myself to modernize them WRT the xpm dependency, and only
one (fvwm) had been touched since Policy 3.0 was issued.  This sucks.

> What's wrong with a simple Provides: at the moment? I'm not suggesting
> something permanent, it's just that I would hate to see X4 in the dist
> with a simple Provides: missing that would prevent a number of packages
> being removed ...

Life's tough.  I took the time to NMU packages that I had installed, though
I really only use two of them.  Other people can do the same, or these
unmaintained packages can get RC bugreports filed against them, most of
which will go unresolved (if the maintainer cared about his package, he'd
have been maintaining it), and subsequently Debian will have some
unmaintained cruft cleaned out of its archive.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |
Debian GNU/Linux                |    Please do not look directly into laser