[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: All systems Go

>> Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com> writes:

 > dpkg -i *.deb worked great for me, with the exception of some
 > conflicts with utahglx and libutahglx1 which I had to install
 > manually. Great work! I think it's about time for phase2.

 The one glitch I found while upgrading from 3.3.6-10 to v16 is that
 the X server won't be upgraded (this is a feature, not a bug), but
 the symlink /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config -> /etc/X11/XF86Config is
 lost in the transition.  With the symlink in place, the X server
 (3.3.6) starts properly.  Installing the xserver-xfree86 package
 modifies /etc/X11/Xserver without asking (I can see the logic behind
 this) and the new X server is not configured (better said, it reads
 the old configuration file), so it won't start.  Running 'XFree86
 -configure' produces a configuration file that works when moved into
 place (/etc/X11/XF86Config-4) except for my mouse (upstream bug, the
 protocol should be NetMousePS/2 instead of PS/2, dunno if it's
 autodetectable).  Running xf86cfg works (modulo mouse) but I ran out
 screaming in agony after trying to figure out how to use that program
 without a mouse (it does have a friendly help thingie right there --
 I just couldn't "click" anywhere)

 I have probably missed a gazillion things.  If anyone wants to try
 this, I basically did this:

 $ grep-available -s Package -F Version 4.0.1-0phase1 |
   cut -d : -f 2 |
   xargs dpkg --purge --force-depends

 $ grep-available -s Package -F Version 3.3.6-10 |
   cut -d : -f 2 |
   xargs dpkg --purge --force-depends

 (yeah, not the greatest filter, but works)

 $ dpkg -iBER /on/my/mirror/of/the/3.3.6/packages

 (that is, install as much 3.3.6 as possible)

 Figure out what breaks (from the top of my head, xmh, xbase, some
 -altdev package).

 $ apt -f install

 (let apt figure out a way out of the current mess -- I think I had to
 give it a hand, but I forgot where)

 Now you have a working 3.3.6 installation.

 Download the new XFree86 packages and build a Packages file for apt
 to read.  Modify your sources.list to point there.

 $ apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade

 This will upgrade only two packages because the rest of them depend
 on libxaw7.  Since I'm guessing not everyone will notice this, I
 think it would be useful if someone tests the resulting installation
 is not broken.  I did this a couple of times, and didn't really
 noticed anything out of order...

 Now dist-upgrade.

 After this I noticed:

   * xfs won't start.
   ysabell:~# /etc/init.d/xfs start
   Starting X font server: xfsFontCacheInitialize: hi=1048576, lo=786432, bal=70
   /usr/bin/X11/xfs error: Element #1 (starting at 0) of font path is bad or has a bad font:
   /etc/init.d/xfs: line 88:   858 Aborted                 (core dumped)
   start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE --exec $DAEMON already running.
   (gdb) where
   #0  0x400d1931 in kill () from /lib/libc.so.6
   #1  0x400d1618 in raise () from /lib/libc.so.6
   #2  0x400d2c71 in abort () from /lib/libc.so.6
   #3  0x8055d79 in abort_server ()
   #4  0x8055eb3 in FatalError ()
   #5  0x8054eaa in SetConfigValues ()
   #6  0x8049d0f in main ()
   #7  0x400cba42 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6
   I don't have the cyrillic fonts installed.  Removing that from the
   fontpath allows xfs to start, but:
   ysabell:~# /etc/init.d/xfs start
   Starting X font server: xfsFontCacheInitialize: hi=1048576, lo=786432, bal=70
   and stays there.  Doesn't background itself it seems.
   * xdm won't start.
   It looks for /usr/X11R6/lib/libXdmGreet.so (no version number)
   which is not there.  Putting a symlink in place lets xdm to start.
   It displays a "This is an unsecure session" message, which comes
                 When  X   authorization   is   requested   in   the
                 configuration  file for this display and none is in
                 use, this greeting replaces the standard  greeting.
                 The default is ``This is an unsecure session''
   I think the problem is that the directory
                              the default  place  for  authorization
   doesn't exist.  (It behaves differently when strace'd, so I'm not
   sure what it's trying to do)

   Trying to log fails and the xdm.log doesn't provide any useful

   xdm error (pid 5887): SetPerClientControls failed
 After this, the only thing left is to:

 $ apt-get install xserver-xfree86

 which Works For Me.



Reply to: