Re: rman (PolyglotMan) + TkMan are now under the Artistic License.

Hi.

In <[🔎] 87u2cudetp.wl@arafune2.ushioda.riec.tohoku.ac.jp>,
  on Wed, 09 Aug 2000 17:22:10 +0900,
    on Re: rman (PolyglotMan) + TkMan are now under the Artistic License.,
 Ryuichi Arafune <arafune@debian.org> wrote:

> B.R.> 1) Is XFree86 the place where continuing work on the DPS library is going
> B.R.> to continue to happen?
> Yes, may be.

> B.R.> 2) Is the DPS library in dpsclient a separate implementation?  The DPS
> B.R.> library in XFree86 is copyrighted by Adobe, but is under a free license.
> I don't know about that.  Does this web page help you?
> 	http://dps.sourceforge.net/

I have checked this site.  It shows:

  %%%%%
Other implementations of DPS

For many years, Adobe used to license a DPS implementation (based on their CPSI
PostScript interpreter) to workstation vendors. This implementation is included
in a number of commercial systems, including NeXTStep/OpenStep, SunOS 4, Sun
Solaris 2, IBM AIX, HP/UX and earlier versions of Digital Unix/Tru64 Unix
(Compaq appears no longer to provide DPS in the latest versions of Tru64 Unix).
The current status of the Adobe DPS implementation is unclear, but it might be
the case that they no longer support it.

The GNUstep project have been working for some time already on dgs, a
standalone implementation of a large subset of DPS. Dgs is not a server
extension, but a standalone program that provides DPS services to the client by
talking to the X server using core X -- in Adobe parlance, a DPS/NX agent.

Our project is fairly independent from the dgs effort; indeed, there is little
or no code to share due to very significant differences in the designs.
However, we are in touch with the dgs developers, who have a fair amount of
experience with DPS implementation. Furthermore, we are using the DPS support
code in Ghostscript; this was all implemented by L. Peter Deutsch with dgs in
mind.
  %%%%%

The source of the current dpsclient package maintained by Arafune is dgs,
and it includes DPS/ subdirectory where the libraries and utilities for
writing applications that use the Display PostScript extension to X.
These libraries and utilities for DPS was written and distributed by
Adobe Systems Inc, as June 1994 release.

The DPS Software in XFree86 4.0 seems to be based on
  ftp://dps.sourceforge.net/pub/dps/DPS.tar.gz, which is the Adobe
client library, dated 3 June 1996, according to the README in that place.

So I suppose that the upstream of DPS software is the Adobe in both case
of XFree86 4.0 and dgs.

I have checked ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/gnustep/snap, and found the snapshot
of dgs, dgs-000709.tar.gz.  So the development on dgs has been continued
independent from the work for XFree86 4.0, I think.

The DPS library in dgs-000709 seems to be the release of February 14, 1995,