Re: Installation using 2.2.16-2000-07-14 boot disks

Cc:'d to debian-x because I've had this problem too + workaround

> Your suggestion on the mouse was right on target. However now I have a new
> problem. I've had it before and still don't know how to resolve it.
>
> When I configure X with XF86Setup the final test of the server works just
> fine, but when I try to run with the new configuration file, all of the
> Mode settings are rejected with messages like:
>
> (--) SVGA: There is no mode definition named "640X400"
>
> For each of the mode lines that actually do appear in the config file.
>
> Can you give me any pointers on how to approach this problem?

Enlarge the HorizSync and VertRefresh ranges in /etx/X11/XF86Config by 0.5 to
both sides (or even larger if that still doesn't work).

XF86Setup seems to calculate possible ModeLines from the entered/selected
H/V-sync ranges, but it doesn't look at the chipset's clocks at that point.
Many older videocards have a range of fixed clocks that differ just slightly
from the "ideal" clock that XF86Setup has calculated. But the slightly
different clock results in slightly different H/V-sync rates, often just
outside the specified range. The X server checks this only at "normal"
startups, i.e. not when XF86Setup is trying it out.

This is especially nasty when you select a "Generic VGA compatible" card
(VGA16 server) with a "640x480 VGA monitor" and simply aren't able to
reproduce the very mode that XF86Setup uses :-(

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer