Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and app-defaults

Can I ask a question ?

In <20000727002154.A15122@deadbeast.net>,  on Thu, 27 Jul 2000 00:21:54 -0500,
 Branden Robinson <branden@deadbeast.net> wrote:

> It has to do with app-defaults files.  Current Debian policy says these
> can't be conffiles, so they go in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults.
> Well, upstream has changed things, and it putting them in
> /etc/X11/app-defaults.  Rather than buck this trend, I think we should roll
> with it.

I have not checked the 4.0.1 source tree yet, so please let me know
if this has been solved.

There are some "app-defaults" directory specific to Languages.

My package of xcalendar-i18n has two separate resource settings
for ja_JP.ujis and ko_KR.eucKR as well as the main app-defaults.

  $ dpkg -L xcalendar-i18n|grep app-defaults

as specified as

     By default the imake variable ProjectRoot is /usr/X11R6.4 and
     XFILESEARCHPATH has these components:

These files are used to select the strings for menus and labels
which are shown in the native language for Japanese and Korean
in addition with the default English messages.

> We all know there is a "root" XFree86 package that all other X Window
> System packages depend on, and that is xfree86-common.  In the preinst of
> this package will be something like the following logic:
> if [ ! -L /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults ]; then
>   # uh oh, we need to move this
>   mv /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults.MOVING
>   ln -s /etc/X11/app-defaults /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults
>   mv /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults.MOVING/* /etc/X11/app-defaults
>   rmdir /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults.MOVING
> fi

Can this handle the directories /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/$LOCALE/app-defaults ?

As fas as I know, xfig also has the specific app-defaults for
ja_JP.ujis and ko_KR.eucKR.

  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>