Re: X4 powerpc issues, pass 0

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 09:54:55PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > find: usr/X11R6/lib/libOSMesa.so.3: No such file or directory
> > find: usr/X11R6/lib/libOSMesa.so.3.3: No such file or directory
> > find: usr/X11R6/lib/libOSMesa.so: No such file or directory
> >
> > No idea.
>
> This is the off-screen Mesa library.  It's used for GL rendering to an
> arbitrary chunk of memory.  It is new with Mesa 3.3, which, I gather is not
> officially released yet; I think XFree86 is using a CVS version of Mesa
> 3.3.
>
> As to why this is not building for PowerPC, I do not know if this is
> deliberate or accidental.

/* The DRM module requires kernel services that appeared in late 2.1.x
   kernels and are known to be present in 2.2.x kernels. */
#ifndef BuildXF86DRI
#  if defined(i386Architecture)
#    if OSMajorVersion > 2 || (OSMajorVersion == 2 && OSMinorVersion >= 2)
#      define BuildXF86DRI            YES
#    else
#      define BuildXF86DRI            NO
#    endif
#  elif defined(SparcArchitecture)
#    define BuildXF86DRI              YES
#  else
#    define BuildXF86DRI              NO
#  endif
#endif

That's why not.  I'd say, turn it on, and see what happens.

> > find: usr/X11R6/man/man4/apm.4: No such file or directory
> > find: usr/X11R6/man/man4/ati.4: No such file or directory
> > find: usr/X11R6/man/man4/cyrix.4: No such file or directory
> > find: usr/X11R6/man/man4/glide.4: No such file or directory
> > find: usr/X11R6/man/man4/i740.4: No such file or directory
> > find: usr/X11R6/man/man4/i810.4: No such file or directory
> > find: usr/X11R6/man/man4/imstt.4: No such file or directory
> > find: usr/X11R6/man/man4/neomagic.4: No such file or directory
> > find: usr/X11R6/man/man4/nv.4: No such file or directory
> > find: usr/X11R6/man/man4/rendition.4: No such file or directory
> > find: usr/X11R6/man/man4/tdfx.4: No such file or directory
> >
> > manpages for servers we don't support.  Note that perhaps we should be
> > building some of these... ATI and imstt at least, and maybe tdfx...
>
> ATI, definitely.  IMS Twin Turbo -- that's that thing you find on some of
> the PowerPC Amigas, right?
>
> I don't actually know if there is such a thing as a Voodoo card for a Mac.
> Anyone know?  If so, we'll turn on the tdfx driver.

We can take arbitrary PCI cards, pretty much.  The IMSTT is in a lot of
maybe two-year-old macs as a third party card.  I've got a Voodoo in
mine.  What's the nv driver for? I think some of those might apply.
And I'm not sure if the APM driver is relevant but it certainly might
be.

> > find: usr/X11R6/bin/SuperProbe: No such file or directory
> > find: usr/X11R6/bin/scanpci: No such file or directory
> > find: usr/X11R6/man/man1/SuperProbe.1x: No such file or directory
> >
> > Not appropriate for powerpc.
>
> I think both of these programs are all but dead anyway; some fairly
> sophisticated PCI probing is now part of the X server itself (as anyone
> who's read 4.x server output can attest).
>
> I'll need to make architecture specific debhelper files.  I will make the
> appropriate changes for PowerPC.

I'll have the more interesting patches in a bit.

Dan