Re: XFree86 4.0.1

> Greetings,
>
> XFree86 4.0.1 is out now, as many of you are aware, I'm sure. I emailed
> Branden Robinson, the X maintainer, a week or two ago, and have yet to
> receive any responses or anything. Can anyone tell me what's going on with
> regards to packaging XFree86 4.0.1? Like, does Branden know about this,
> and have it on his agenda? I'd feel much more comfortable knowing that
> he's working on fixing up XFree86 3.3.6 for potato or something, than to
> be completely in the dark!

While I agree that I'd rather know that he's working on something than
be left completely in the dark, I also feel that what's going on was
enlightened by his last message on the subject, weeks before 4.0.1 was
released.

In that message, he stated:

1) He knew 4.0.1 was going to be release in June
2) Work on 4.0 would -not- happen
and (importantly)
3) Getting potato was his highest priority, and that nothing was likely
to happen with 4.x until potato was out the door.

Until Branden said so, I had no idea that there was a planned 4.0.1
release.  As such, I assume that he is much more familiar with the
inner workings of X development than I am, and am therefore -certain-
that he know that 4.0.1 has been released, and that XFree86 is now
using CVS for development.

Based on that, I don't think anything's going to happen wrt 4.0.1 until
Potato ships, and I think Branden is fully aware of what's going on.

--
     Buddha Buck                             bmbuck@14850.com
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our