Re: Setting up a 3.3.6 Build Environment

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 11:25:00PM -0800, Marc Wandschneider wrote:
> 	so, i've got Debian 2.1r4.  Basically, I installed (from an ISO CD I
> burned) the base system with compilers, etc ...

XFree86 3.3.6 is packaged for potato, not slink.

Building it for slink demands some fairly detailed knowledge of the
differences between slink and potato, and of the way the XFree86 is
packaged.

> 	So, I'm trying to set up an XFree86 3.3.6 Build environment, so I
> downloaded the 336 tarballs (I like to build things myself and put them in
> /usr/local/...).

If you're just trying to get the hardware support that is in 3.3.6, I
suggest grabbing the potato server .deb that corresponds to your card,
extracting the server binary from it, and dpkg-diverting the installed
server binary.

That is what 99% of slink users want when they say they want XFree86
3.3.whatver.

> 	Unfortunately, when I build XFree86, It only builds the servers and a
> couple of other things.  Most notably, a lot of the critical files that make
> X run don't get built and installed, such as:
>
> 	- Xwrapper (I can't run as non-super user)
> 	- xf86config (I can't configure the server!!)
> 	- XF86Setup.
>
> 	I haven't had this problem on FreeBSD or NetBSD, but for some reason, half
> the critical stuff just isn't getting done under Debian.

Xwrapper is probably getting built, but Debian doesn't use it.

Have you read the build-dependencies for the source package?

> 	Any idea what it takes to get this stuff FULLY building?  I'm installing it
> in /usr/local/X11R6.  I installed 8.3 tcl and tk stuff, and they put some
> things in /usr/local/lib, as far as I can tell.  Am i missing something
> else?
>
> 	Any suggestions would be *greatly* appreciated -- I've tried a bajillion
> different avenues on this one to no avail ...

XFree86 is not easy to package.  You don't just pick it up and become
proficient with it overnight.

If that were true, the bug list would not be as long as it is today.  I've
been maintaining X for almost 2 years and still occasionally run across a
gotcha.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |        When dogma enters the brain, all
Debian GNU/Linux               |        intellectual activity ceases.