Re: no window manager, no x-terminal, after installing task-gnome

    Eric> Just tried another install today, with boot-floppies built from
    Eric> CVS sources that I updated about noon today, PST.  I installed the
    Eric> task-x-window-system package, and typed `startx' when dselect was
    Eric> finished.  I saw the standard X stippled background ... and nothing
    Eric> else.  No xterm.  It took me a few minutes to realize that I was
    Eric> running twm (I clicked the left mouse-button, and lo, the twm menu
    Eric> came up) but alas: there's no way for me to start processes!  Since
    Eric> there's no xterm, I can't type at a command line, and the twm menu has
    Eric> no way to start a process.

 I've had the similar experiences.

 I would like it if it would require `xserver-vga16' and `xf86setup'
 to be installed, then run `XF86Setup' (anXious didn't work; I tried
 it... XF86Setup is the best one).

 After the server is configured, there's "one" more problem...  There
 is no ~/.xsession.  Perhaps there should be one in the "/etc/skel"
 directory?  I copied the "/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome" script to
 "~/.xsession".  It provides the best configuration of them all...

 Maybe those scripts could be pulled out of `gdm' and provided in a
 base or common type package.  `startx' could be modified to use the
 same set of files that `gdm' uses, &c.

 `sawmill' was the only window manager I had installed.  IIRC, it
 started the first time, but did not the second time I used `startx'.
 I had to go through the Gnome control panel, add a fake window
 manager (I used "true"), select it, push [Try], wait for it to fail,
 then let if fall back on `sawmill', which it thought (? It probably
 didn't really look to see for itself.) was already running.  Now
 `sawmill' is started, it offers to save the session, then next time I
 startx the window manager is there.  I am not the one who will debug
 this; at least not anytime soon.

 Katchina Tech sells laptops and desktops with Debian installed on
 them.  (I met them while they were in Portland for the supercomputing
 convention.)  They have a nice looking `gdm' setup, &c.  Perhaps we
 can package up something like what they do?  It would be nice if
 after an install I could start reading docs in an X browser...
 without needing a week of reading just to find out that I need an
 .xsession to get `startx' to work, &c.  The window manager not
 starting the second time you `startx' thing is the sort of problem
 that will lose us a lot of new users.  It's very frustrating when
 thingsg don't work right.

    Eric> `xinit' doesn't have this problem: it starts X and xterm, and I can
    Eric> start twm by hand and continue to issue shell commands.

 I never tried that.  Hmmm.

    Eric> As before, where does the responsibility lie?  I assume that this
    Eric> should be raised as a bug against some package or other, but I don't
    Eric> know which.

 Not sure either.  You'll have to dig for it, I guess.  Folks on the
 `debian-x' list might know more about this than I do.

 Fixg it for us, Eric!