Re: xfree 3.9.16 ...

On Sun, Oct 10, 1999 at 11:13:43PM -0700, Mark Montague wrote:
> Sven LUTHER <luther@maxime.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>
> > Hello, ...
> >
> > i tried this week end to build a 3.9.16 debian package, using the 3.3.5 debian
> > directory. I removed all the patches, set the install directory to
> > /usr/X11R6.4, and it built fine, but all the create-... stuff need to be
> > reworked, to install in the new directory, and also some package content where
> > changed, and new packages where created.
> >
> > Solving this is quite some work, and i don't have much time for it right now.
> >
> > Is debian interrested in a 3.9.x serie of X server ? what would be the correct
> > way to implement it ? I noticed that if you build a static server, and point
> > /etc/X11/Xserver to it, it works fine. Also the dynamic server installed in
> > /usr/local/X11R6.4 worked fine once i pointed Xserver to it. It would cause a
> > problem in packages names (i appended xf4- to them) and compatibility between
> > the two packages (i put a Provides: line to point to the 3.3.x package, is this
> > right ?)
> >
> > Is any one interrested in working on this with me ? Branden, what is your
> > opinion on this, as official X maintainer ?
>
> I'm generally interested in x3.9 debs, but I don't have lots of
> time. I had trouble building vanilla 3.9.16b about 1.5 weeks ago, but
> I haven't had time to look into it. I had tried to port some of the
> patches a bit, but it was ugly enough that I decided to stick with
> plain 3.9.* for now. I noticed that the 3.9.* libraries break a few
> things, most of which can be worked around by using the old libs, but
> the (matrox svga) server also breaks realplayer (and possibly other
> things).

I think most of the patches are maybe not necessary for 3.9.*, not sure though.
Anyway, we can simply make a package without the patches for now, and when this
is fine, add the patches again, and include them in upstream quickly also. I am
xfree member, and i guess you are also since you have access to 3.9.16b.

I built 3.9.16b in the context of the debian xfree package. The only patch i
applied was the one changing the root directory to /usr/X11R6.4, not sure if
this is ok for debian though, but it is only a temporary thing until we have
some working packages.

The problem i had was when building the packages themselves, since most stuff
are no more in the same place as before. What i would like to build first is a
xserver-xfree4 package, that contains only the server and related stuff. After
that we can do other things. Anyway, the mayor innovation is in the X server. I
am not familiar with the create-xxx stuff of the debian package though, nor had
i had time to work more on it.

I will keep you informed,

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER