Re: apt-get configurator for boot-floppies?

> > One advantage for framebuffer is, that you must not know the video card and
> > the X server. Video is in the kernel, x-server is fbdev-xserver. For mice
> > it is possible to autodetect. Keyboard information comes from the first
> > question for the boot-floppy setup. So we need only HorizSync and VertRefresh
> > for the monitor. Thats all (if the kernel supports your graphic card).
> For m68k we have been allowed to include something in xserver-configure.
> XF86Config is only copied from the examples directory, the dev/mouse link is
> set according to hardware (amiga, atari and mac have different mouse types).

Mice is different for powerpc, we can have any serial, ps/2, usb (not yet) and
the adb types.

> There are no changes to the config file with regards to Hor/Vert
> frequencies, since these are set (at least on my machine) during boot or
> even before.

Nearly all graphiccards supports much higher frequencies monitors can stay with it.
Not everyone has a 21" with 250MHz :-)

> You can adjust them with fbset AFAIK for some grafics boards.

I'm the maintainer for fbset ...

> Do you really have to change these frequencies during X setup or is it nice
> to have? I mean, if the console works, so does xfree, thats the framebuffer.

For the start (boot-floppies) it is enough to have console == x11, but we
can use also Modelines (for accel, mode switching, ...) and then it is good
to have the HorizSync and VertRefresh available.

Greetings,

    Hartmut