Unidentified subject!

I've been forced into using an Windoze NT laptop, and am trying to get
Xwindows working for it.  Cygwin works fine (posix environment, bash shell,
etc.) and someone has made patches to get XF86 compiled under win, which
would be awesome.  The problem is as follows:

Someone has patches to allow XF86 to be built under Windoze
with cygwin, and the XF people are reluctant to let them in due to
commercial interestes, i.e. the finished X server binaries can't be bundled
with other software.  Where do I find a clue bat large enough to change
this thinking?  Please have a lok at the mail below and let me know what I
can possibly do.

My thinking: the patches do not force you to use cygwin to compile, but
rather just enable it for those who want it, and so I don't see any reason
why the XF people should object to the patches.  They enhance and do not
limit in any way.  If someone else wants to posrt it to a compiler with a
different license, noone is stopping them.

This is really frustrating me, people being this narrow minded (what's the
politically correct term for that? :) and I'm hoping people here will have
some useful suggestions.

Thanks, Nils.

His latest response to my questions
(the person who has the patches for xf86 3.9.15):

> >The patches are not incorporated into official XFree86 tre yet.  I have not
> >submitted the patches to XFree86.org yet.  A lot of commercial X vendors
> >have vested interest  in  XFree86.org.  The objected to having using Cygwin
> >to build XFree86 and merge my patches into official Xfree86 tree.
> >Cygwin is
> >under GPL, merging my patches into XFree86 means
> those X-server vendors would either purchase commercial license
> >of Cygwin or would not be able to bundle XF86 built with Cygwin
> with theirsoftware.
>
> But are the patches cygwin specific or generic, i.e. differences
> you might
> find between different unices too?  If they are generic, applying them
> should not have any implication.  And you don't have to put your patches
> under the GPL, it seems to me you submit them to the XF86 project and
> transfer ownership to them and that's the end of that.  The fact that the
> code you've submitted helps XF86 build on Cygwin should be irrelevant.

First of all, I have not submitted the patches to XFree86.org yet.  I did
mention about it on XFree86 Developers list.  It started a furious
argument from commercial software vendors.  They out-right demanded
I should port XFree86 to Win32 using MSVC or a non GPL compiler, which could
allow them to bundle the software.  When, I replied that I do not care if
they could bundle or not, all I want is a stable and free X-server for Win32
users.  Then I was told that I am at the wrong place
and should consider quitting XFree86 developers group.

To answer your questions about if the pacthes are Cygwin specific.  96% of
the code is already present in XFree86.  It is ust a matter of finding out
where #ifdef __CYGWIN__ should be added, so code can be compiled using GCC
under Cygwin.  Second, adding #ifdef __CYGWIN__
does not make a source code GPL.  It is the act of compilation
which makes the binaries GPL.  If the Cygwin patches are merged
into XFree86 source tree, it would also help Windows users to develop
X clients on Windows NT/9x.  Once the devices drivers are written
and the code for devices drivers added to hw/xfree86/cygwin, the
X-server (hopefully?) should be functional.  Also, when user can download
XFree86 source code from XFree86 Organization and compile it Windows
themselves, it might attract more developers to contribute
and complete the project.

> >The XFree86 organization, though is looking into it.  If you wish
> you can send
> >your compain to XFree86.org (devel@xfree86.org).
> >

> I think I may... I don't realy think that there's a problem with
> submitting
> hte patches.  Any more details I should know about?

See above...

A second project in progress is to use XFree86 libraries, and compile
XGGI X-server on Windows.  John Fortin is writing DirectX drivers
for XGGI.  I have done all the XGGI/XFree86 work for Window, using
Cygwin/GCC compilers.  Once John's DirectX drivers are ready, and (if)
my patches are merged into XFree86 source tree, a user can downlaod
XFree86 source, obtain XGGI patches from GGI-project.org,
and compile XGGI/XFree86 based X-server on Windows, using Cygwin/GCC.