Re: how to speedup the build process of our web pages

Hello

El 3 de octubre de 2023 16:42:12 CEST, Thomas Lange <lange@cs.uni-koeln.de> escribió:
>Hi,
>
>I've patched cron/parts/7release-notes and added some code, that
>checks if there were some changes to the release-notes repository.
>If not, don't rebuild the release-notes. Details:
>git show 4560761a19d830e..d7864a901a552a18d
>
>In the past this part took nearly 90 minutes on www-master, six times
>a day. But the last change was mid of July. If we expect no changes
>until end of this year, we will save 800 hours of build time.
>
>Next target could be cron/parts/4webwml. Does anyone knows if there is
>a reason why we do not use a parallel make, using all 4 cores of
>www-master?

I think that the machine was low in resources at some time, and if we got a better machine in the meanwhile nobody looked at improving the cron jobs (correct me if I am wrong).

There are the lessoften job that may be concurrent at some time if the webwml job is long (e.g. after a point release or changes in templates or in .po files) but I guess we can try to accommodate everything).

Please go ahead and let see how it goes? (Or we can ask DSA if they have any objection)

Kind regards

--
Laura Arjona Reina
https://wiki.debian.org/LauraArjona