Re: Making Debian available

[ Adding debian-www to the loop ]

Hi,

Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 01:53:24 +0000, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> >On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 11:52 PM Russell Stuart wrote:
> >
> >> Testing doesn't produce netinst with non-free firmware
> >
> >There are both daily and weekly testing netinsts with firmware:
> >
> >https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/daily-builds/sid_d-i/current/amd64/iso-cd/
> >https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/weekly-builds/amd64/iso-cd/
>
> We should really at least mention them somewhere. We're losing
> installations each day because they are so hard to find.

So, to turn this discussion into a real change:

debian-www team: what do you think about adding some more hint/warning
banners pointing to firmware-including installation images?

We already have one at
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/debian-installer/

So we could also add it to other pages (and re-use the translations as well):
https://www.debian.org/distrib/
https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst
https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/
https://www.debian.org/CD/torrent-cd/

Of course it's not optimal to be forced to add it to so many pages,
but the restructuring of the download / "getting-debian" section is
already on the agenda, so in the long term we can hopefully reduce the amount
of pages with that warning back to a low number like 2 or 3?

The above is for stable.
We could also do similar for the testing firmware-including images
(that's probably the more important part, since there is no mention of such
images at all on the website).

Should I try to work out a proposal/patch?
Or is there another plan for these issues already?

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076