Re: Dealing with spam on the mailing lists

Paul Wise writes:
> On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 5:23 AM nyov wrote:
>> I propose a global double-opt-in approach for unknown email-addresses
>> to debian's Mailing-Lists as a non-human moderation process.
>
> Debian gets a lot of folks (especially on debian-www) who send us only
> one mail/thread, so I think double opt-in is likely to be an undue
> burden on those people and could put off potential future contributors
> contacting us for the first time.

I agree. Please don't make addresses that are listed as primary contact
addresses on www.debian.org hard to reach and possible black holes (I
don't have good experience with mailing lists that are "moderated" for
non-subscribers).

Double-opt-in for such contact addresses seems the wrong solution to me,
just like for listmaster@ or postmaster@.

> Personally, I think that the completely open mailing lists and bug
> tracking systems with no account creation or need to prove oneself in
> any way is a huge advantage of Debian.

I like it too in theory, but given the amount of spam and other abuse in
the current world, I'm not sure totally open systems are still
appropriate (bugs.d.o is for example technically an open relay...).

Ansgar