website API question

To Whom It may Concern,

I am working on a tool for summing up version differences between an installed debian system and the current stable, testing and sid package versions (possibly linking to the bugtracker). I have looked for a public API which I could use to make calls, but found none. I figured I'd ask before I write a crawler that puts unnecessary network load on the debian site (this tool will be made public under an open source licence).

Please let me know if there is a publicly available API and documentation for packages.debian.org

Kind Regards,
Peter