Re: instruction 4.3. Preparing Files for USB Memory Stick Booting

在 2019-06-24一的 07:55 +0000,Nathanael Skrepek写道:
> Dear Debian Team
>
> I found some inconsistency in your instruction for getting a bootable usb
> stick with Debain. Maybe I just confused something but there is also another
> problem.
>
> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en
> https://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/i386/ch04s03.html.en
>
> in one you are telling
>
> # cp debian.iso > /dev/sdX
> # sync
>
> in the other
>
> # cat debian.iso > /dev/sdX
> # sync
>
> Also I want to mention that the second version doesn't really work because
> of permission issues. Even if one adds "sudo" at the beginning it doesn't
> work. I found a fix here
>
> https://askubuntu.com/a/957852/968718
>
> it tells that one needs to open a root shell to do this. I think this is
> worth mentioning in your instruction, because it can be really frustrating
> for beginners like me to figure these things out.

Hi Nathanael,

The second link you gave (the "squeeze" one) was the release note for Debian 6
(codename "Squeeze"). Since we have stopped support for Debian 6 long long
ago, its Release Note is only provided as a historical document and should not
be used anymore. It will not be modified as well.

If you are using the current Debian Stable (currently Debian 9 and that Debian
10 is going to be the stable version soon), you should always read the link
for release note with the name "stable" in it.

Thanks,
Boyuan Yang