Re: Request: Using Rubik Webfont from Google Fonts Directory in debian.org

Hi,

Am 15.06.19 um 08:55 schrieb Yao Wei:
> Hi,
>
>> Paul, the code snippet above is under assumption that Rubik font is
>> installed on debian.org server (via yet to be created package).

for the given snippet there is it still required that the font is
available on the user side.

> There are several reasons we don't want to use external fonts:
>
> * We want to make our websites use resources from Debian
>   infrastructure.
>
> By using webfonts from external sources, we can make other companies
> possible to sniff our visitor statistics.  Some people here do want to
> migrate away from Google as well.

Yes, this is exactly what Paul has mentioned as fingerprinting method.
That is of course something what Debian does not want nor will support.

Webfonts itself are not a bad thing, but as always use such things
correctly to improve things.

> * Not all people have unlimited network access.
>
> For example, my mobile internet access do have a data cap at 1.7 GiB,
> and I intended to have the data cap because I want to warn myself about
> phone addiction.  Some people using satellite internet access could
> suffer from extra payments just by a webpage embedding webfonts.
>
> The web nowadays contains mostly meaningless data, especially tracking
> code, unwantingly large images, unnecessary javascript and webfonts,
> etc.  And I hope we can withstand against the trand.

This isn't a real problem in the case for the Debian website(s) as we
completely control how they are designed and intend to work.

It's a know fact that the websites we presenting are a bit 'boring' due
they are really mostly text only based. But the main issue in my eyes is
simply the Debian websites still lacking a responsive design. And to
work on a better CSS styling would bring more than to work on a own self
made webfont, it's simply a thing of priorities.

But if there are people and contributors that will come up with a usable
concept and a real will to work on this also in the future I see no
special reason to not include such improvements to the Debian websites.

Unfortunately right now no one of the webteam members has really a
deeper knowledge about building good CSS stylesheets nor has the time to
work primarily on the HTML specific parts and useful changes. We really
appreciate if people would like to take this challenge and would step
in. The Debian website on www.d.o is some kind of beast, there are over
50.000 site in there in various languages. And there will get about 100
new sites added a month.

> $ find -type f -name "*.wml" | wc -l
> 55854

At one day we will need to look at webfonts as they can make some things
really easier.
But as Debian is building every thing from source we also need to build
a toolchain for creating such an own webfont while building the whole
website. The content of the webfont is just a question of selecting
things, but it need to get sorted out what is needed to build one ore
more webfonts by our own. If someone wants to add the Rubik font by
using a own webfonts feel free to do it. The technical side is probably
not that difficult, the legal thing is mostly a bit trickier as pabs
also did mentioned.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert