Bug#945248: www.debian.org: 'How to download an image with jigdo' uses obsolete terms and references
> *** Reporter, please consider answering these questions, where appropriate ***
> * What led up to the situation?
Preparing to install Debian on a PC, haven't done that for a few years. (Hence the downlevel of this box.)
> * What exactly did you do (or not do) that was effective (or ineffective)?
I RTFMed, and found information about `jigdo`, which I had not previously used. Specifically I looked @
which currently has the following HTML:
- <h2><a name="how" id="how">How to download an image with jigdo</a></h2>
- <li>Download a package containing <tt>jigdo-lite</tt>, which is
- available for GNU/Linux, Windows and Solaris from the
- <a href="http://atterer.org/jigdo/">jigdo homepage</a>. For FreeBSD,
- install from /usr/ports/net-p2p/jigdo or grab the package with <tt>pkg_add
- -r jigdo</tt>.
There are 2 problems with this text:
1. The current package name=`jigdo-file` (per, e.g., https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=jigdo), not `jigdo-lite`. This error is repeated several times in subsequent text on that webpage.
2. The current jigdo homepage=https://www.einval.com/~steve/software/jigdo/ per the old homepage=http://atterer.org/jigdo/ cited above, which says (again, HTML)
> <p>I have stopped development on this software long ago. But luckily, <strong>Steve McIntyre has taken over development - thanks Steve!</strong> Please head to <a href="https://www.einval.com/~steve/software/jigdo/">einval.com for a forked jigdo version</a> with new features.</p>
Fortunately these errors are easy to fix (and I would do myself if the target page=https://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/ was in the Debian wiki):
0. Acquire access to the HTML source for https://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/ in some shell, and make it editable.
Following assumes shell=bash and path=/path/to/jigdo-cd.html to that file; change below as needed.
1. Run commandline=`sed -i -e 's|jigdo-lite|jigdo-file|g' /path/to/jigdo-cd.html`
2. Run commandline=`sed -i -e 's|http://atterer.org/jigdo/|https://www.einval.com/~steve/software/jigdo/|g' /path/to/jigdo-cd.html`
3. Check your work with commandline=`grep -nH -e 'jigdo-lite\|http://atterer.org/jigdo/' /path/to/jigdo-cd.html | wc -l` ; result should=0
4. Mount edited source as needed for the Debian web.
-- System Information:
Debian Release: 8.11
APT prefers oldoldstable
APT policy: (500, 'oldoldstable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
Foreign Architectures: i386
Kernel: Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 (SMP w/8 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.utf8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8 (charmap=UTF-8) (ignored: LC_ALL set to en_US.utf8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: sysvinit (via /sbin/init)