Re: new Debian homepage: request for review

Hi,

most of the points I raised have been addressed by Auréliens POC, but
there were some questions:

On 11/7/19 11:50 PM, Laura Arjona Reina wrote:
> El 7 de noviembre de 2019 20:21:03 CET, Birger Schacht <birger@rantanplan.org> escribió:
>> * Some even minor thoughts:
>> + Both columns have the same icon and title for the 'More...' link-
>> maybe the OS column 'More...' link should be titled 'Further infos'
>> (and
>> then the 'Further' from the link description should probably be
>> dropped)
>> and the 'More...' link on the community side could have another icon.
>
> Both 'More' link to the same page (different sections). Maybe we can remove the "More" word in both columns and make the link with the following sentence? I'm also fine with the current status, don't see a big problem with the word and the icon repeated.

Hm, I think using the subtitle as links would make the colums stand out
because its a lot more text. Lets just leave it as it is for now.

>> + I think the RSS links don't fit in the design of the page, both
>> because the orange doesn't blend in with the rest of the colors of the
>> page and also because they are the only elements on the page that are
>> right-justified. I think its also too much distance from the elements
>> they are referring to. Also both RSS icons have different designs (blue
>> on orange vs. white on orange).
>
> Yes, I just pasted the code from the current homepage and didn't adjust the layout... I would propose to use the 'rss' icon or glyph (the symbol). I'm not sure where to place them, though (just after the last word in their lines? Right-justified? In other place in the page?)

In case of the security updates, I would put the RSS icon only on the
page where the actual news items are (its already there). In case of the
project news I would put the RSS icon on the right of the 'All the news'
link.

>> + Is the 'Last modified' and 'Last Built' information used that often,
>> that is should be in the footer or is it maybe also enough to put it in
>> the HTML source as a comment?
>
> It's been in the footer since always and people wrote to the list when the info was not accurate for some bug or issue, so I think it's valuable that is visible.

Ah, oke.

> My proposal would be to put both sentences in the same line so the footer is thinner.

Ack.

>> + I found myself wanting to click on 'The community' or 'The operating
>> system' and the pictures below. Maybe they should lead somewhere?
>
> The photos in the "People" column have clickable buttons to go to the next/previous. The Debian logo in the "Operating System" section includes the Download button. The titles... maybe could link to their respective section in the "More..." subpage, but I doubt that it's helpful.
>
> Maybe you want to click there because of the 'hover animation', and if we remove the animation (because of the issues mentioned above) the "wanting to click" would disappear?

I realized that I tend to click on them after I disabled the animations
- but maybe thats just me.

>> + (I think the header should be replaced by the 'splash' element
>> everywhere ;)) )
>>

> This I didn't understand. Currently, the proposal is:
> Header in homepage:
> * Debian logo + search
> * links to blog + micronews + planet
> * Line to show the breadcrumbs ( /)
> * banner of current stable theme with "Debian, The Universal Operating System" (note that this is not translatable, currently)
>
> Header in subpages:
> * Debian logo + search
> * links to blog + micronews + planet
> * Line to show the breadcrumbs  (e.g. / latest news )
>
> Could you specify the change you propose? Adding the banner of current stable theme to every page? Removing something?

I would propose to implement it as Auréliens POC has implemented it-
with the banner of the current stable theme being the background of the
header

cheers,
Birger