Re: notes from the web team meeting at Debconf

Hi
Thanks for the work and this message!

I have updated my local copy of the repo/branch and built it, you can
see the current status in https://debian-newhomepage.larjona.net/

El 20/7/19 a las 22:46, Thomas Lange escribió:
> We had a small web team meeting today in Curitiba at DebConf.
> Attendees: Steve, Carsten, Valession, Thomas
>
> We talked about the new homepage.
>
> - We will disable auto sliding of the photos, user must click to see next/other photos
> - The black/white icons are great, we may want to adjust the thickness
>   of two icons (more and user support)
>

> News section
> - calendar sheets, valessio/thomas think it's to big,
>   Proposal from Steve: remove day of week and year
>   optional: maybe use numbers instead of words

I feel that the calendar "image" is more for future events, not (past) news?
I agree that it's too big. +1 to remove the day of the week. Year I
think we should keep it.

> - idea: try to create a news entry at least every two weeks

This should be "easy", if there is nothing new in the proper website,
the news can be chosen from the published micronews.

> Why Debian section
> - Move "Why Debian" to the right half, between "User support" and More
>   and link it to intro/why_debian === DONE
> - on intro/Why_debian put some highlight items (I have 5 items) on the top of the page
>   target different groups in "Why Debian"
>   - business user
>   - home users
>   - developers
>   - special use cases (blends? e.g. point to Debian edu)
>   why_debian is a text from 1998. Maybe I just rewrite it.
>
> - remove Debian from top bar text "Debian Blog" "Debian Micronews"  "Planet Debian" === DONE
>

> For mobiles or other narrow devices Valessio can make a drop down like menu on the top left for kalles design.

I've seen several issues when displaying the new homepage in a phone but
I guess I'll wait for the design to settle a bit more.

> - new /community page, put a picture on this page, maybe the DPL with a welcome message

We have an open bug about this: #924942
I would prefer to repeat a group photo, but I have no strong opinion on
this.

> - new /software page, add picture (swirl or desktop), remove CD vendors, pre-installed computer

I feel that those (CD vendors, preinstalled devices vendors) belong to
the /community section, together with /users, /partners,
/mirror/sponsors, etc

> Timeline
> - implement the changes (homepage and the two "more" pages)
> - Set a date and give the translators some time (2-3 weeks) to prepare their versions
> - write announcement
> - merge new-homepage branch into master
>

> Changing photo shown on the new homepage:
> We will remove the auto sliding feature. People can still click on one
> of the bubble below to see another photo.
> We like to change the primary photo shown after some time (once a week?).
> Idea: we have several photos available. The wml links to image1, which
> is a symlink to a particular photo. We change the symlink without
> changing the wml file, so the users do not always see the same
> photo. Can this be implemented in one of the cron jobs (lessoften,..)?
> Other ideas?

I don't know which is the better way to do this. If we change the name
of the file linked/displayed, it won't be issues with the browser cache.
Otherwise, we need to take into account possible browser caches
displaying the "old" image.

> We also looked at the current version of the new download page
> Here, a lot more work has to be done. This is independent from the new
> homepage.
>
> - explain which image the user should choose
>    we need some short text, so the user can select his/her ISO
> - Explain what's the difference between the several images
> - We had a look at https://trisquel.info download
>   this is an easy way to choose
> - have also looked at the Ubuntu download (desktop,server,cloud)
> - in Debian we have (net installer, live image with calamares, cloud)
> - free/non-free variants (e.g. if you have a notebook, you may need the non-free version)
> - What information can be put into a hover box or when clicking on "show
>   more info"?
>
> download: s/Use your Debian installation/Start your Debian installation/

I see no recent changes in the corresponding branch, so I didn't rebuild
my local copy yet. If there are changes, I will rebuild and you can see
them in https://debian-newdownload.larjona.net/download/

> P.S.: There will also be a web BoF and a web work session during the next days.

Great! I'll look at the schedule and hopefully the remote attending
people can contribute somehow.

Good work!
Cheers
--