Re: Request: Using Rubik Webfont from Google Fonts Directory in debian.org

On 15/06/19 13.55, Yao Wei wrote:
Hi,

Paul, the code snippet above is under assumption that Rubik font is
installed on debian.org server (via yet to be created package).
There are several reasons we don't want to use external fonts:

* We want to make our websites use resources from Debian
   infrastructure.

By using webfonts from external sources, we can make other companies
possible to sniff our visitor statistics.  Some people here do want to
migrate away from Google as well.

* Not all people have unlimited network access.

For example, my mobile internet access do have a data cap at 1.7 GiB,
and I intended to have the data cap because I want to warn myself about
phone addiction.  Some people using satellite internet access could
suffer from extra payments just by a webpage embedding webfonts.

The web nowadays contains mostly meaningless data, especially tracking
code, unwantingly large images, unnecessary javascript and webfonts,
etc.  And I hope we can withstand against the trand.

Yao Wei
So the best solution for this request is to install Rubik font to debian.org server (preferably via package), and update CSS code to use the font, with fallback to Helvetica, Arial, and system-default font respectively, as I stated multiple times earlier.