Re: Request: Using Rubik Webfont from Google Fonts Directory in debian.org

On 15/06/19 09.07, Paul Wise wrote:
On Sat, 2019-06-15 at 04:49 +0700, anon notmyfault64 wrote:

Why did you seem to resist using modern web technologies
Modern web development practices have some downsides:

They are wasteful of resources; including energy and bandwidth, both on
the server side and on the client side.

They are disrespectful of visitors; including their available
technology, preferences, background, privacy, security, time
and bandwidth/energy usage.

I'm happy to use features of the modern web that don't have downsides,
such as the newer HTML tags.

(webfont in this case)
Webfonts have some downsides:

Wasteful of bandwidth since everyone has local fonts installed that
support the languages they can read.

Disrespectful of people who have a specific preference for a certain
kind of font since the web pages will look different to their choices.

Disrespectful of people who prefer or only read languages that don't
use the Latin script, since many webfonts don't support many languages
and so pages containing non-Latin languages don't look the same and may
look jarring with two different fonts on the same page.

Are yet another vector for performing security attacks against website
visitors via bugs in those visitor's font parsing/rendering software.

Are yet another vector for performing privacy attacks against website
visitors by fingerprinting visitor's font parsing/rendering software or
having them report their visit to third-parties distributing the font.

Regarding font packaging, I agree that I should contribute to Debian
Fonts Team by packaging Rubik font, in order to be used by debian.org
website. Since I haven't ever done packaging fonts, can you give me
documentations about how to package fonts?
Generally it is the same as normal packages:

 * Find the upstream source code repository
 * Take a tarball of the latest tagged release
 * Drop in the default Debian packaging
 * Add build dependency information
 * Add Debian specific metadata
 * Add an upstream metadata file
 * Build and test the package
 * Request a sponsor for the package

Unfortunately with fonts there are several possible complications:

 * may not release their source code
 * may use proprietary licenses
 * may use proprietary formats for their source
 * may use proprietary tools to build or modify
 * with the SIL OFL some fonts use reserved font names, which means
   that no-one is allowed to build the font from source.
 * may not use a version control system (VCS)
 * may not create properly versioned releases
 * may put prebuilt font files in their VCS
 * may not have an automated build system
 * may not publish their build system

The Rubik font seems to be free of several of these issues, but some of
them unfortunately are definitely present.

https://hubertfischer.com/work/type-rubik
https://github.com/googlefonts/rubik

I'd advise you to peruse the intro for new package maintainers, the
Fonts wiki page and if you have specific questions about packaging
Rubik, ask the upstream maintainers and or the debian-fonts list.

https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers
https://wiki.debian.org/Fonts
https://lists.debian.org/debian-fonts/

Regardless, if we implemented Rubik to debian.org website, the CSS
stylesheet would be like this below (observed from fandom.com wikis):

body {
    font-family: Rubik, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
}
This doesn't appear to use webfonts.

Paul, the code snippet above is under assumption that Rubik font is installed on debian.org server (via yet to be created package).

If webfonts version is used instead, the HTML code is like below (assume that only regular variation is used):

<head>
<link href=""moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=">https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Rubik&display=swap" rel="stylesheet">
</head>

And for CSS is the same as above CSS snippet I have sent earlier: