Re: The .git links on https://packages.debian.org/source/experimental/wml are broken

Dear Shlomi, dear Debian Webteam,

Shlomi Fish wrote:
> The .git links on https://packages.debian.org/source/experimental/wml at the
> bottom of the page are broken- both in firefox

Indeed. Reason is that
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#version-control-system-vcs-fields
requires to explicitly add " -b <branchname>" if the default branch
isn't the master branch.

The blanks in the Vcs-Git field get converted to to the URL-encoded
%20 instead of having been left as blanks.

> and in git clone.

At least copying the text (not the linked URL) behind "git clone",
i.e. "git clone https://salsa.debian.org/debian/wml.git -b cmake"
works fine for me and checks out the git branch "cmake" instead of the
master branch.

So the proper solution is probably to not make hyperlinks out of the
Vcs-Git field, at least not if it contains " -b ". I recommend to
replace

<dd><a href="https://salsa.debian.org/debian/wml.git -b cmake" class="pvcslink">https://salsa.debian.org/debian/wml.git -b cmake</a></dd>

with just

<dd>git clone https://salsa.debian.org/debian/wml.git -b cmake</dd>

Anyways, this specific case of the general issue (i.e. the blanks
around the "-b" in Vcs-Git fields get URL-encoded) will be fixed with
the next wml upload as I will merge back the cmake branch into the
master branch which is the branch from which the Debian Unstable
uploads are made.

Ah, and if someone's tackling this, please also note that »<a
href="/experimental/git-core">Git</a>« should be replaced with »<a

a) git-core is gone (since buster) and a long-time (since at least
   Debian 7 Wheezy!) transitional package and
b) there's seldomly a git version in Debian Experimental.

> Please reply to list if it's a mailing list post -
> http://shlom.in/reply .

Shlomi: Ignoring this on purpose as I don't expect you to be
subscribed to the debian-www list just because of asking a question
there about every second year.

P.S. to the Debian Webteam: I don't seem to have write access to the
webwml repo anymore since the migration to Salsa, so I've requested
access again. I might tackle the issues outlined above if there is no
opposition to my proposal.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, https://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin