Fwd: Debian "Packages" web page confuses the terms "Sections" and "Components"

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Ya'aqov Ben Nun <qobibennun@gmail.com>
Date: sex, 24 de ago de 2018 03:05
Subject: Re: Debian "Packages" web page confuses the terms "Sections" and "Components"
To: Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org>

Hi. Just giving my to cents to the subject maybe it's about time to make the whole thing with a unique terminology.

Em sex, 24 de ago de 2018 00:04, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> escreveu:
On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 2:15 AM, Holger Wansing wrote:

> According to
> https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#archive-areas
> that would be "area".

According to the archive itself, they are components:

Components: main contrib non-free

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/Release

I guess for space reasons, the Packages/Sources files combine the
component with the section:

Section: contrib/misc

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/source/Sources.gz

OTOH, the repository format documentation says:

"Components: A whitespace separated list of areas."

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository/Format#Components

> But additionally to that, "area" is used erroneously at
> https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages for the definition of the
> distribution (like in "This area contains packages that are ..." when
> talking about Testing).

I think all our documentation is pretty confused about the terminology
used around repositories.

I think that "area" is a more understandable word than "component"
when the documentation is end-user oriented and that "component" could
be added (either via mouseover hover text or via text in parentheses)
depending on how new to Debian the audience is expected to be.

To make it worse, Ubuntu introduced a word "pocket" that isn't used by
Debian folks.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArchiveAdministration

--
bye,