Re: Debian "Packages" web page confuses the terms "Sections" and "Components"

Hi,

Parke <parke.nexus@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, debian-www@lists.debian.org,
>
> I believe the Debian "Packages" web page confuses the terms "Sections"
> and "Components".
>
> The page is here:
> https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
>
> Scroll down to: "Search package directories"
>
> Note the following select menus:
>
> The "Section" menu contains the following options:  main, contrib,
> non-free, and any.
>
> main, contrib and non-free are components, not sections.
>
> This is confusing because in the context of Debian packages, “Section”
> has a separate and distinct meaning.
>
> For reference, see the sources.list man page.
>
> See also:
> https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
> https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-subsections
>
> To correct this problem, consider changing "Section" to "Component"
> (or to "Area"?).

According to
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#archive-areas
that would be "area".

But additionally to that, "area" is used erroneously at
https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages for the definition of the
distribution (like in "This area contains packages that are ..." when
talking about Testing).

Holger

Created with Sylpheed 3.5.1 under
	D E B I A N   L I N U X   9   " S T R E T C H " .