DDP salsa migration status and proposal

Hi,

Here is my assessment of DDP web page and my proposal for the future of
DDP web page and webmaster-team/cron code.  (I don't think we have
enough human resource to do the full update of DDP contents for now.
But we can clean up existing web pages a bit.)

I was wondering why DDP web site is not updating from sid packages any
more.  It was due to "Python Policy" contents moving from the python
package to the python3 package.

  https://salsa.debian.org/webmaster-team/cron
    493a086 ("Install "Python Policy" from python3", 2018-08-11)

It's fixed now :-)  I see debmake-doc is updated.

This prompted me to look into the current status related to DDP and cron
scripts. Latest build log is available at:
  https://www-master.debian.org/build-logs/webwml/often.log

I see the code for "Build web page from SVN" approach is also failing.

| run-parts: executing /srv/www.debian.org/cron/parts/7doc_manuals
| /srv/www.debian.org/cron/parts/7doc_manuals: 11: cd: can't cd to /srv/www.debian.org/ddp-svn

Related log is:
  https://www-master.debian.org/build-logs/ddp/svn.log
| svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'svn://svn.debian.org/svn/ddp/manuals'
| svn: E670002: Unknown hostname 'svn.debian.org'

We used to build web page from SVN but many are already migrating to
cron/parts/7doc which extract web page from the latest package.  I don't
think it is good idea to run texlive on web page generating server since
it is CPU intensive etc..

The following is the status of each page which used to be built from
this SVN repo and my proposal for the salsa migration and cron script
updates.

============  Documents which should stay =======================
  Already migrated to be built via cron/parts/7doc:
      apt-howto
      java-faq
      ddp-policy          (contents are a bit outdated)

  Documents which need to be migrated to be built via cron/parts/7doc:
      project-history         (listed in doc/misc-manuals)
                              (Debian package debian-history )
                              (https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/project-history)
      securing-howto          (listed in doc/user-manuals)
                              (Debian package harden-doc )
                              (https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/securing-debian-manual)

      (If the ability to update contents without uploading the Debian
      package is needed, publish via git branch as described below is an
      alternative)

  Static web pages which may have some historic value
      debian-bugs (2009)         https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-bugs/
                                 ??? No link ???

      dselect-beginner           https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/dselect-beginner/index.en.html
                                 doc/obsolete
                                 (dselect is still available)

      euro-support               https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-euro-support/
                                 ??? No link ???

      intro-i18n                 https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/
                                 doc/devel-manuals

      fr/debian-fr-howto         https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/fr/debian-fr-howto/
                                 ??? no link ???

    We may keep offering these via "publish via git branch" approach.
      1. Create salsa repo and commit the source to the "master" branch
      2. Build HTML etc. and commit to the "publish" branch
      3. Rewrite cron/parts/7doc_manuals to copy contents from the "publish" branch

============  Documents which should be dropped =======================

  Problematic manuals (no updates recently, already listed in doc/obsolete
                       and listed in https://www.debian.org/doc/ddp#other):
      meta
      tutorial
      user
      system-administrator
      network-administrator
      programmer
      dictionary
      book-suggestions
      repository-howto

  Problematic manuals (no updates recently, listed in doc/devel but listed
                       in https://www.debian.org/doc/ddp#other):
      distribute-deb
          (This is repository-howto's sister document by the same author)
          (link to asuthor's page describing key info is dead.)
          (No unique/current information)

  Problematic manuals (Broken link but listed
                       in https://www.debian.org/doc/ddp#other):
      Debian Packaging Manual, partly merged in Debian Policy Manual, the
      rest will be included in a dpkg reference manual that is yet to be
      written

  Problematic manuals (No listing and obsolete)
      users-guide             https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/users-guide.en.html

  I don't propose to remove existing contents immediately.  It will be
  removed whenever new installation is tried.  Let's mark them as
  obsolete.

============  DDP entry point pages =======================

  Update pages reflecting the above changes.
  Link to stalled contents are bad and should be avoided.
  Use external link to wiki.debian.org
  LDP and other links seems to be mostly obsolete (reconsider to drop)
  ... too may things to do  ...

============  /cron/parts/1ftpfiles =======================

  FYI: I am creating proof-of-concept code to switch from FTP to HTTPS to get
  Debian packages.

  Replace with above mentioned code copying pre-build page from git repo
  branch.

============  /cron/parts/7release-notes =======================

  Talk to people working on https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes
  This script doesn't work since it still reads sv.debian.org

  https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/release-notes
  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?repeatmerged=no&src=release-notes

Osamu