Guided image selection: POC, RFC

Hi,

I spent much of today on a bit of Javascript to guide a user through
selecting the right image for his or her use case; the idea being that
we'd ask them a few questions, and then say "this is the image you'll
need to download if you want to install Debian like that".

A proof of concept is up at
http://latin.grep.be/~wouter/debian-www/releases/stable/debian-installer/

If people like this, it will require some more work before it can go
live. In particular:
- It currently has no visual appeal. Someone with better graphical
  design skills than myself will have to fix that.
- After asking questions, it tells you 'this is what you asked for', but
  it doesn't actually give you the URL, because that part hasn't been
  implemented yet.
- There is a button "disable this, give me the full list". Once you
  click on it, it's gone and there's no way to get it back (other than a
  page refresh). This may not be ideal.
- There may be a need to improve some of the language in the questions.
- This adds two files, a .js file and a .json file. The first contains the
  logic of showing the buttons etc and should not need to be localized
  (although there are some direct strings currently, and they will need
  to be moved elsewhere); the second contains the questions that should
  be asked and what their effect should be. It may be necessary to
  either generate the second in such a way that it can be localized, or
  update my makefile rule so that the localized .json files are stored
  and copied from the right language-specific directory.

I decided not to spend too much time on that now though, since I thought
it would make more sense to show what I've got so far and ask for
people's thoughts.

So. Thoughts? Does this look like something useful? Should I spend more
time on finishing it up and possibly adding it to the website proper?

Thanks,

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab