Re: migration of www-master.debian.org to stretch; issue when building the release notes

Hi Laura,

Am 15.09.2017 um 14:57 schrieb Laura Arjona Reina:
> Dear website and i18n teams:
>
> The www-master.debian.org machine (wolkenstein) in which we build the
> Debian website is running jessie and should migrate to stretch soon or
> later.
>
> I'm testing the scripts that we use to build the Debian website:
>
> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debwww/cron.git/tree/
>
> in a stretch box, to detect (and try to fix) possible issues.
>
> I've seen this issue when I launch the release notes build:
>
> --- LOG 1 ---
>
> Creating documents for alpha, language: ja
> make[2]: entering directory '/srv/www.debian.org/release-notes/squeeze'
> make[2]: Nothing done for 'html'.
> make[2]: Nothing done for 'txt'.
> USE_GP=`echo " ja ml vi " | grep " $LINGUA "`; \
> if [ -n "$USE_GP" ]; then \
>     xmlroff --backend gp -o ja/release-notes.alpha.pdf
> ja/release-notes.alpha.fo; \
> else \
>     xmlroff --backend cairo -o ja/release-notes.alpha.pdf
> ja/release-notes.alpha.fo; \
> fi
>
> (xmlroff:23968): libfo-CRITICAL **: Output using GNOME Print is not
> supported by this build of libfo.
>

> --- LOG 2 ---
>
> make[2]: *** [vi/release-notes.sparc.pdf] Error 1
> make[2]: se sale del directorio '/srv/www.debian.org/release-notes/squeeze'
> Creating documents for alpha, language: zh-cn
> make[2]: se entra en el directorio
> '/srv/www.debian.org/release-notes/squeeze'
> make[2]: No se hace nada para 'html'.
> make[2]: No se hace nada para 'txt'.
> USE_GP=`echo " ja ml vi " | grep " $LINGUA "`; \
> if [ -n "$USE_GP" ]; then \
>     xmlroff --backend gp -o zh-cn/release-notes.alpha.pdf
> zh-cn/release-notes.alpha.fo; \
> else \
>     xmlroff --backend cairo -o zh-cn/release-notes.alpha.pdf
> zh-cn/release-notes.alpha.fo; \
> fi
>
> (xmlroff:26770): libfo-WARNING **: Expression evaluation error::
> Evaluation resulted in an error
> Object path:
> /FoTree[1]/FoRoot[1]/FoLayoutMasterSet[1]/FoSimplePageMaster[1]/FoRegionStart[1]
> Object path:
> /FoTree[1]/FoRoot[1]/FoLayoutMasterSet[1]/FoSimplePageMaster[1]/FoRegionStart[1]
> Makefile:193: fallo en las instrucciones para el objetivo
> 'zh-cn/release-notes.alpha.pdf'
> make[2]: *** [zh-cn/release-notes.alpha.pdf] Error 1
>

> These xmlroff error (for languages ja vi ml) is not present in the
> current logs, it seems it only appears when building the release notes
> in stretch (it can also be that I need to install some package in my
> box, too...)
>
> Can anybody help?
>
> If you think it's better that I file a bugreport, I don't which
> [pseudo]package should I relate the bug to. The cron scripts belong to
> www.debian.org pseudopackages but I guess this is more related to the
> own release-notes "make"?

libfo is part of (gets statically linked into as far as I understand)
the xmlroff package. So I'd suggest asking the xmlroff maintainer(s)
(the Debian XML/SGML Group, which I put into Cc:).

xmlroff has the same package version 0.6.2-1.3 in both jessie and
stretch, so one would reasonably expect for that package to behave
similarily in both stretch and jessie. So the problem you found above
looks like a regression. Maybe Gnome in stretch has seen some changes
that makes xmlroff not find the corresponding parts of gnome any more
during runtime. Anyway, if that would be the case, then that dependency
should be somehow visible in the Depends:/Recommends:/Suggests: of the
package, which, as far as I can see, is not the case.

So again I'd suggest to either file a bug report against xmlroff or to
talk to the maintainer.

It needs to be said that I have not studied the xmlroff docu - that is -
maybe there's some finesse on how the executable should be called that
could resolve the problem.

Greets,
*t