Re: Updating the * debian website.

Hello Damien, welcome, and sorry for the late reply

El 18/06/17 a las 05:24, Damien O'Brien escribió:

> Hello.
>
> My name is Damien O'Brien, I would like to work on updating the Debian
> website.
> With better support for mobile, modern and older browsers as well as
> accessibility support for screen readers and the likes.

Great!

> Is there a Git where I can contribute my time towards this project?

We don't use git (yet), we use CVS to maintain the website sources.
Migrating to git is being discussed but it's a complex task.

How the website works is detailed in this page:

https://www.debian.org/devel/website/

and its subpages (one of them dedicated to CVS).

However, you can contribute with no need to deal with the version
control system. The best to start is to just have a look at the source
file corresponding to the page you'd like to improve.

You can browse the source files of the english tree of the website with
no need of knowing/dealing with CVS:

https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english

and for example our main CSS template:

https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english/debian.css?view=markup

If you'd like to change something but don't know the corresponding
source file, just ask here in the list or in the IRC channel
(#debian-www at irc.debian.org) and we can guide you based on your
specific question.

Please have a look at this view of the open bugs in the Debian website,
classified by topic/main task

https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/bts-usertags.cgi?user=www.debian.org%40packages.debian.org

The tag "design", for example, includes some bugs related to better
accessibility.

> If i can be made a maintainer that would be much appreciated.

You can create an account in Alioth and your contributions via the bug
tracking system, wiki editions, and others can be shown in our list
https://contributors.debian.org

After some contributions to the website (that other members of the team
can upload for you), you can join the corresponding project in Alioth
and get permissions to commit yourself.

As the Debian website is not a Debian package, contributors that want to
become Debian members by their website work can apply for
non-uploading-DD, applying for becoming Debian Maintainer does not make
sense unless you maintain Debian packages. But in both cases, first you
contribute for some time, later you apply for the membership. So no need
to worry about that, for now :)

> My main focus would be to update the code base to a more modern
> framework while touching on some of the other areas like mentioned in
> the to-do lists.

The website is big and the team maintaining it (content and
infrastructure) is small, so big changes in the code base are difficult
because usually they require much resources (several people
coordinating, time, skills, motivation...). We are happy to review and
apply specific changes that don't break the current workflow, but please
open bug reports and be as much specific as you can in your proposals.

You can checkout the entire website source and test your ideas if you
install perl and wml, and do "make" in the folders you change to create
the html pages from the wml sources. You can also learn about the
different parts of the website and how they are built having a look at
the build logs:

https://www-master.debian.org/build-logs/

Again, the section https://www.debian.org/devel/website/ and all its
subpages explain many details about how the Debian website works.

> I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks for your interest in Debian and its website.

Best regards

--
Laura Arjona Reina
https://wiki.debian.org/LauraArjona