Re: Debian Policy 4.0.0.0

Le Tue, May 02, 2017 at 09:17:21AM -0300, Antonio Terceiro a écrit :

> One thing I was always curious about: is there a reason to use such a
> deep versioning scheme?
>
> A shorter version number would make package maintainers life a bit
> easier when keeping Standards-Version: up to date. For example noticing
> 4.0 vs 4.1 is way easier than noticing 3.9.7.0 vs 3.9.8.0.

Hi Antonio,

"only the first three components of the policy version are significant in
the Standards-Version control field, and so either these three components or
all four components may be specified."

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Standards-Version

Have a nice day,

Charles