Re: Possible error on https://wiki.debian.org/Mate

On 12/7/2016 8:15 PM, Paul Wise wrote:
On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 11:10 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:

Under the heading
   To install MATE, do the following:
      MATE just core
it states:
"apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-core"

When I installed Jessie I found it necessary to include xorg.
[The wiki page had said "If no graphical environment was present before, you
will also need to install a display manager such as GDM or LightDM.]

I've made a couple of edits to make it clearer.

Thank you for a prompt response.
I'm not sure if it solves MY underlying "problem".
But it gives me pointers to assist me in better stating my "problem".
I've a gut feeling that logically mate-desktop-environment-core should have a dependency on something providing an X11 server. I did not find a satisfactory answer manually examining pages from https://packages.debian.org/jessie/... . I don't have a machine on which to experiment with install until early next week.