Re: Let's stop using CVS for debian.org website

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 03:52:47PM +0000, Neil McGovern wrote:

> > Sure. I tried git-cvsimport to convert the cvs repo into a git repo (with -r
> > option enabled and -A disabled). The whole process took ~60 hours and the final
> > git bare repo is ~260MiB large.
> >
> > I also found that the process is incremental after the initial import as long
> > as the history is not modified, which is a really good news for those who wants
> > to work on the transition.
>
> Thanks for that, it's certainly useful data!

Since the transition Wiki page[1] says:

  In CVS we have partial checkouts and in git that could be done with
  git submodules but it introduces additional complications to the
  workflow, and it's probably not worthwhile (we'd need to check with
  translators or people working in sections of the website, to see if it
  would be much trouble to just clone the whole repository).

I can ensure that ~260MiB is quite much for my Vietnamese friend Minh
who just started with the translations.  She is doing this on an old
netbook I have given her and her connection is weak as well.  It would
be really good if partial checkouts would be possible.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/WebsiteGitTransition

--